Renewable metering

Supply Number/MPANs

For all grid connections you’ll have a Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN). MPANs are a unique 13 digit number assigned to your property once an electricity connection is made. If it’s a new supply, your distributor will provide you with the MPAN. If it’s an existing supply, you can find the number from your current supplier or from a recent energy bill.
You’ll need to provide us with both the import and export MPANs for your site. If you don’t have both MPANs, please contact your local distribution business to create the one you need.
Once we’ve agreed the contracts with you and registered the MPAN in our system, we’ll arrange for your appointed Meter Operator (MOp) to install your import/export meter. Please note that MOps will not accept our request until you’ve agreed a contract directly with them. Once your meter is installed and your site has been energised/commissioned, you can begin exporting power to Opus Energy.

Export Metering

All sites with an installed generating capacity over 30kWs wanting to export their excess energy will require a Half-Hourly (HH) export meter. HH meters take a measurement every 30 minutes. Once a day this information is sent via remote mobile signal to a third party data collector for verification. This information is then sent onto us to allow us to process your monthly export payment.
For all HH metering, you must first agree a Meter Operator (MOp) contract with a company of your choice. The MOp will be responsible for installing and maintaining the metering and associated communications equipment.

Import Metering

If your import supply is lower than 100KVA it may be possible to have a Non Half-Hourly (NHH) meter installed. These meter types are read monthly, quarterly, 6 monthly or annually.
If your import capacity is 100KVA or over, you’ll need to arrange for a HH MOp agreement with a company of your choice. Different rules may apply if your supply/connection is connected at a High Voltage (HV).
Please note that extra tariff charges may apply for HH import supplies and supplies that are HV connected, for example the availability capacity could be charged at a pence per day per KVA rate. You set the capacity limit with your distribution business for all new connections. If you wish to amend the KVA availability set for your connection, you should contact your Distribution Network Operator (DNO) or project manager dealing with your grid connection.